Saturday, October 2, 2010

Nature Walk inspires a leaf dish

I'm entering my clay Leaf Dish in the "Crafting with the stars" contest... Hosted by SEW DANG CUTE .  With the cooler, FALL weather finally rolling in, I've started taking morning walks after getting my kiddo's off to school. I've collected so many wonderful treasures from my walks....

See these leaves? Actually, the one at the top flipped over so you can see the veins?

This is what I saw when I looked at them:


I brought the leaf home with me and rolled out my earthenware clay and pressed the leaf veins into the moist clay.... cut out the shape and allowed it to dry for a few days. Fired it up in my kiln to approximately 1800 degrees and then glazed it in an earthy green glaze. Dont you just love the details in the veins? Even the gritty dirt that was on the leaf left it's mark on the clay. (the dirt burned off in the firing, but the glaze really picked up the marks it left behind).

I may have gotten some strange looks from other walkers who watched me picking up leaves, pinecones, acorns and sticks.... but I dont care! I have this wonderful ceramic dish!

If you like my dish, please head over to SEW DANG CUTE and vote for my project! :)


2 comments: